Baby Update:
For those of you that don't know, I've been on bed rest for the last 4 weeks now. I was lucky enough to spend it at home, and it has amazingly gone by much faster than expected. What started it all was an elevated blood pressure read out of nowhere at my 33 week check up. That was a Monday. My doctor sent me to Labor and Delivery for some monitoring, and after a few hours my BP came down and I was released. I had to go back to the doctor for a BP check on Friday and it was still elevated. Up until this point everything was going pretty picture perfect, so you can imagine my shock when she said I was put on bed rest until I delivered! She also mentioned that we would probably induce around 38 weeks. Everything was precautionary at this point, as she didn't want me to develop preeclampsia. I have felt fine the whole time - no headaches, blurred vision, stomach pains, not even the usual pregnancy swelling. That's what makes this bed rest so challenging. I feel great and it's hard to have someone do everything for you while you just hang out in bed or the couch, especially when we have to prepare for a baby!
Anyway, the Friday after 4th of July I had more monitoring at the hospital since my doctor was out of town. My BP was still elevated, but nothing crazy. However, this time Baby Boy was being lazy and didn't give them the reactive heart rates they wanted. It wasn't anything too alarming, but they still monitored me for about 5 hours and did a quick sonogram. I was finally released and was scheduled to see my doctor the next Monday. Everything there checked out fine with me, but she sent me over to see a perinatalogist for a more in depth sonogram and more monitoring just to check out little man. He looked good and they even gave an estimate of 6 lbs 3 ounces. That was at 36 weeks, so I would imagine he'd be around 7.5lbs at induction. Don't get me wrong, this is a great size for 38 weeks and would probably mean an easier delivery, but Sophia was 9lbs 1oz, so this actually seems pretty scrawny to me! Hehe.
Now we are up to date. My doctor is on vacation this week, so my 37 week check had to be done at Labor and Delivery. This was yesterday. I was fine, but Baby Boy just doesn't seem to be a morning person! He didn't give them the reactive heart rate they wanted again, so I was monitored for a few hours and was given lunch to see if that would perk him up. By this point the on call doctor was notified and on his way from another hospital. I was told by my nurse that he is very conservative and plays it very safe when it comes to patients that aren't his. When he showed up Baby was moving around like crazy and performing great on the charts! Too late, Baby Boy. Too late. The doctor had already made a decision to admit me until my own doctor can come by and see me on Monday. Booooo! He doesn't know if my doctor will let me go home on Monday if everything looks okay, or just keep me until Wednesday, which is the day we are scheduled for induction. I'm hoping to go home, but for now we'll just wait and see.
I've feel like I've been surprisingly calm through all this. I know that we are in God's hands and that His plans are far greater than mine. He isn't going to give me anything I can't handle. Maybe this is all a lesson to be more flexible and learn that it's okay to give over control every now and then. Since my first birthing experience was so tough, I really wanted to labor at home until the last minute possible this time around. I wanted as little intervention as possible. God said, "Hold up!" I had all these plans to reorganize the house and decorate Sophia and Baby's room just the way I wanted. God said, "Hold up!" I even had secret plans to escape the house with Jon and Sophia to spend some family time together for out last Family of 3 Weekend. God definitely said, "Hold up!" We've had so much help around the house, with meals, and especially Sophia. You would think this is a long vacation, but you'd be surprised at how hard it is to let people do things their way. At least for me it is!
I am so grateful for all the help we have had. Our parents have just been amazing. I don't know how stay at home moms make it on bed rest when they don't have all the help around! Sophia has done pretty good with all the changes and has loved all the extra time she's getting with all her grandparents. I didn't think it was possible, but she has definitely been even more spoiled. She's in for a rude awakening when Mommy gets moving around again! :) We've also had sweet friends drop off dinner on nights we need a little extra help. Such a blessing! Jon has been incredible through everything as well, but that was always expected! He's been working hard at work and even harder at home. He's done everything from dinner and laundry to turning the office into the nursery! Thank you, sweetheart. I love you so much!
We'll try to keep everyone updated on any changes. But as of now we'll be singing Happy Birthday to our no name Baby Boy on Wednesday, July 25th! Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. They are greatly appreciated!
6 years ago

3 comments:
Congratulations! Definitely praying for your sweet family during this time. Looking forward to hearing all about God's doings. :)
I can imagine that all that bed rest (especially when you feel so good) is no fun! It's great that your little guy will be in your arms soon, though.
Who is your doctor? Mine was on vacation this past week, too.
Dr. Boyd. Her offices are up here in Frisco. I think this is just a popular vacation time. The perinatalogist I saw is an vacation too!
How's that sweet little boy fitting into the family?!
Post a Comment